Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

January 20, 2013

S'mores Brownies


This might be one of my favorite pictures I have taken for the food blog thus far.  This new lens is so great for getting low-light, short depth-of-field pictures.  My inner photo nerd is highly pleased.  Thank you awesome family for supporting my hobby!


These also might be some of my favorite brownies I have made yet.  Though not the gooey, traditional-style brownie I usually pursue, s'mores brownies are still plenty moist, equipped with a pie-like crust of vanilla wafers, and smothered in a melted ensemble of lightly-toasted marshmallows.  They remind me of childhood, and why I should never fully allow myself to grow up.  Oh, and The Sandlot.

A word to the wise with the whole "lightly toasted" concept with the 'mallows: watch them carefully!  As with anything else you subject to the direct heat of the broiler, pay attention!  Sit there at the window of your oven (or open and peer neurotically into its depths if you don't have a window) and make sure they don't burn, because the middle of mine absolutely did.  However, if you enjoy the burnt crispiness of a flaming marshmallow on the fire, I noticed (unintentionally) that my gas broiler tends to cook the center of the dish much quicker than the sides.  
Also, I say to broil for 2 minutes; I think broiling for only one minute will keep the finished product a bit neater and less...well...melty...if that's your style.


All of that being said, these are enjoyable for any time of year (Fourth of July dessert, anyone?) and I highly suggest wet-naps for the kids once they are done getting their faces all smeared with marshmallow goodness.  I recommend serving these warm, letting them cool at least 20 minutes or so or reheating them briefly in foil.  They are still good room temperature, but the wonderful gooey-ness of marshmallows is key to the full s'mores experience!

S'mores Brownies



Recipe adapted from Taste of Tradition magazine

Printable Version: click here

Takes: 40 mins prep*  Makes: 12-16 brownies

You Need:
  • 1 (11-oz) box of Nilla wafers or off-brand vanilla wafer cookies
  • 2 1/4 C sugar, divided
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
  • 1 C plus 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
  • 5 oz unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 large eggs *at room temperature (let sit for at least 20 minutes)
  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 10-oz bag large marshmallows
1. *Make sure you set your eggs out first to reach room temperature!  Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, allowing some to hang over sides of pan.  Set aside.

2.  Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter.  Set aside.  In a food processor, pulse together wafer cookies, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt until mixture is a fine, crumbed texture.  Turn processor on and add the 5 tablespoons of melted butter.  Blend until well combined.  Pour crumb mixture into the foil-lined pan and press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.

3. Melt the remaining 1 cup of butter.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 cup melted butter and the melted chocolate until well combined.  Whisk in the 2 cups of sugar and the vanilla.  Add eggs, one at a time, whisking constantly until mix is smooth and glossy.  Whisk in flour a little at a time and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.  Pour mix into pan atop the crust and smooth the top.

4.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes (this is for a glass pan, do 5-10 minutes less if in a dark pan), or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only crumbs.  Cool slightly.  

5.  While this is cooling, begin cutting the marshmallows in half.  I didn't end up using the whole bag so this part is up to you.  Preheat broiler.  Once brownies have cooled for about 5 minutes, begin packing on the marshmallow halves in rows, filling in gaps as desired. Place under broiler for no more than 2 minutes (possibly longer if not a gas stove) on the highest rack until golden.   Let cool for about 20 minutes before cutting into squares.  Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment