Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

May 27, 2013

Homemade "Oreos" - Chocolate Wafer Cookies with Peppermint Filling



A friend of mine who I regularly trade baked goods with recently gave me four homemade "Oreo" cookies that she and her roommate had made.  She packed them up in a baggie for me, but only three made it out of her house, and two made it home just to end up in my husband's tummy shortly thereafter...

Needless to say I was inspired to try my hand at this homemade Oreo thing, as I desperately wanted more!  I usually stick to simple cookie recipes like my go-to Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies, but these were a worthy adversary.  They are a bit of work, but man are they rewarding! 

The awesome duo of chocolate invasion, semi-soft cookies and a smooth, creamy peppermint icing in the middle is irresistible, and also makes for a good gift or party treat.  I kept them in the fridge since I live in Texas and everything is hot no matter how much you crank the AC, and I think it honestly made them taste that much better.  

I got the majority of the cookie recipe from Martha Stewart's Desserts book, one of many cookbooks that my grandmother recently sent to me.  This one though, is a bit special...it was autographed by ol' Martha herself!  Who'da thunk it!  I called my grandma to let her know that I'll be passing that one down in the family.
FROSTING!

Anyhoo, these cookies are great with the classic glass of milk as a summertime delight.  You could easily make them part of your Memorial Day cooking!  You could also bake them at Christmas time and give them out as gifts!

On that note, I want to thank all of the wonderful men and women who have fought for our country and are protecting us and others around the world.  I will be praying for those who have family members abroad like we do, and that they return home safely.  Don't forget what this day is all about, and as you gather with your friends and families, remember those who have fallen while fighting for their loved ones and their country.  God bless you and have a wonderful Memorial Day!


Chocolate Wafer Cookies with Peppermint Filling

Recipes adapted from Martha Stewart's Desserts and askchefdennis.com

Makes:  about 30 filled cookies   Takes: 1.5 hours idle time, 8-10 minutes bake time per batch, 10 mins. for frosting


You Need:
Cookies:
  • 1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 C cocoa powder
  • 1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp All-Purpose flour
  • Confectioner's/powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
Filling:
  • 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 C vegetable shortening (there are "healthy" brands)
  • 2 C powdered sugar
  • 5-10 drops peppermint extract, to taste
1.  Take out butter and eggs and let them sit until they reach room temperature.  While you're waiting, in a medium bowl whisk together cocoa powder and flour.  Set aside.  Cream butter and sugar until completely smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add egg and mix until well combined.

2.  Add flour/cocoa mix to wet batter and mix until combined.  It doesn't look pretty, kinda like poo and it's sticky.  Divide this funky stuff into two and put each in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick.  Chill until firm, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  You can refrigerate the dough overnight at this point.

3.  Heat oven to 350 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.  Sprinkle work surface with powdered sugar as you would flour to roll out dough.  Make sure to add some to the dough and work it in a bit, as this stuff gets all sticky after it's been out of the fridge for a minute.  Roll out dough carefully (it gives easily) to 1/8 inch thick AND NO THINNER!  I would advise using a ruler to ensure thickness.  If they are too thin, they burn quickly and do not taste yummy.

4.  Using a 2-inch in diameter cookie cutter (I used a scalloped one but you can use whatever shape you like!), cut out cookies and transfer to baking sheet, spacing them 1/2 inch apart from each other.  Gather trimmings, chill and roll out again for more cookies.

5.  Bake for 8-12 minutes or until you can smell the chocolate and the cookies are semi-firm.  Transfer to a wire rack immediately and allow to cool.

6.  For the filling, beat room-temp butter and shortening with a mixer at low speed.  Gradually mix in powdered sugar (SLOWLY) and peppermint extract.  Beat on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.    Don't refrigerate yet!  You can play with the amount (or type) of extract you are using here.  Other suggestions are Cappuccino or Orange!  Always taste it before you use apply to the cookies.

7.  To assemble cookies, take a heaping teaspoon of frosting and place in the middle of one cooled cookie.  Gently press another cookie on top, making sure not to break either.  You can adjust the amount of frosting to your liking, but you may run out!  Chill the cookies until they are firm, about 10 minutes.  I stored mine in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY!!! And what great photos and write up.!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete