Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

July 22, 2011

Cooking with Frankie: Accidental Chocolate Dip and Coconut Brigadeiros

There are times when cooks should ban together, and throw out the notion of too many chefs in the kitchen.  Frankie of Frankie Fights Food came to join me in an adventure last weekend where we each tried a brand new fancy dessert recipe, and ended up with two tasty sweets.


Frankie's No-Bake Chocolate Cake came out more like a chocolate dip (which tasted amazing), and my brigadeiros were super sticky but tasty nonetheless.  Needless to say, it was an enjoyable event, and my first time having someone shooting tons of photos of food beside me!  Ah, to feel somewhat normal (or at least like I'm not alone in photography geekery).  I look forward to our next food encounter when we have a Food Blog WAR (more to come soon).
 
Anyhoo, the recipe I used for the brigadeiros (a Brazilian children's treat) came from one of the best food blogs out there, Smitten Kitchen.  NOW don't go leaving me due to the fact that her blog is awesome!  I'll get there soon enough...
Ehem... I did change the cooking temps and times a bit and used different toppings, so I'll list it below for you to see.  These are very rich and gooey, and should be enjoyed slowly.  Mmmm.



Coconut Brigadeiros
Makes: 24 or so candies
Takes: 2+ hours (can be left overnight)
You Need:
  • 1 C sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk (I used a canned organic one that was very thick)
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (can used salted to give them contrast)
  • 2 tsp light corn syrup
  • 1/3 C unsweetened finely shredded coconut (you can toast, but I liked it without the crunch)
  • 1/3 C coarse ground almonds (grind whole ones in food processor)
  • 1/4 C cocoa powder
  • 1/3 C chocolate or crunchy pearl sprinkles (optional)
  • Mini paper muffin cups (optional)
1.  In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine condensed milk, coconut milk, butter and corn syrup.  Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low, keeping at a low simmer and whisking constantly.  When the mixture is ready, it will "come together" into a semi-soft wad of taffy-like consistency.  This took me about 10 to 15 minutes.  It should be a light, tan color.
2.  Slide mixture into a bowl and leave behind the brown residue on the bottom of the pan.  Do not scrape it out!  Let it come to room temperature and then refrigerate it for about 45 minutes or overnight covered in plastic wrap.  If you are using real chocolate sprinkles or coatings, then I'd advise to leave it at least 2 hours.  Either way, it should be very firm when you take it out of the fridge.
3.  Scoop out teaspoon-sized clumps ( I did bigger ones because I'm a Texan, dammit) and roll them into balls with your hands.  Set aside on a baking sheet.  I put mine into the muffin cups before rolling them in a topping, and they stuck to the paper.  Gross.
4.  Put your various toppings into wide bowls and roll brigadeiros to coat.  The coconut and the crushed almonds were personal favorites, although my husband preferred the contrasting crunch of the sprinkles.  Place in mini muffin cups if using.  You can store these at room temp for 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week.  Serve them at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment