Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

July 30, 2011

Confessions of a Breakfast Addict: Blueberry Banana Smoothie

How my smoothie appears when I'm bleary-eyed.

I am an avid drinker of the smoothie.  My good friend Katy bought me a blender back in college, and I'll admit I survived a few empty-pantry nights thanks to that contraption and some frozen bags of fruit.  My husband is a freaking amazing Smoothie MASTER and I have been secretly trying to thwart him in his skills...  Thus, when I came across this recipe, I grinned to myself and thought, "Aha!  At last!" My morning routine got a whole lot sweeter.  Literally.


This smoothie is loaded with good stuff:
Blueberries (fiber + vitamins C and K)
Almond milk (protein, vitamins and calcium)
Greek yogurt (protein, calcium)
Honey/agave nectar (mmm)
OJ (vitamin C, calcium)
Bananas (fiber, protein, and potassium)
Flax Seed (great source of Omega-3)

The bananas are optional, as I prefer mine without but others have said they like it with as well.  So choose your weapons and start your morning - or have a tasty snack - with your friendly neighborhood blender!


Marissa's "G'morning, Sleepy" Smoothie
Makes: 1 smoothie    Takes: 3 mins
You Need:
  • 3/4 C fresh or 1 C frozen blueberries, not thawed
  • 1/2 C ice if using fresh berries
  • 1/2 C Greek yogurt (I use Fage 2%)
  • 3 Tbsp fresh-squeezed or whatever you've got OJ (1 med. orange or so)
  • 3 Tbsp almond/soy milk (just put some in there)
  • 1 Tbsp honey/agave nectar (I prefer honey)
  • 1 ripe banana (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
1. Throw all that good stuff in a blender and hit "smoothie" or whatever button it is you have to magically create a smoothie.  Use a straw and chizzity check your teeth after you drink this monster, since blueberries tend to leave some unfriendly flecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment