Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

July 26, 2011

Blueberry Fruit Crisp


I love summer fruits.  I have a habit of walking into the store to get this that and the other, and coming out with 3 to 4 pounds of various seeded things I didn't intend on purchasing.  And then I eat them all.  Since I've recently started this blog, however, I've tried to implement some of these fruit impulse purchases into recipes.  So today I scoured the cookbooks for a recipe to use up 2 1/2 cups of blueberries I had sitting in the freezer.  I don't even know why I freeze them.
Better Homes and Gardens puts out an amazing cookbook every so often aptly named "The New Cookbook," and I was given my great aunt's copy when I went to college.  Unfortunately my puppy ate it (seriously) and I had to purchase a new one.


Anyhoo, that book has been one of my main teachers - that and lots of flaming, smoking, or just gross mistakes - in the kitchen.  It has become my cooking "Bible" if you will.  This recipe serves 6, but since I only had half of the blueberries/fruits required, I halved it.  AND that gave me the chance to use my super-awesome-from-Nana's-kitchen 1 quart baking dish.  Sweet.  Now, what to do with those 8 lemons...


Blueberry Fruit Crisp
Takes: 10 min prep, 25-40 min cooktime
Makes: 6 servings
You Need:
  • 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C rolled oats
  • 1/2 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 1/4 C nuts (optional)
  • Vanilla ice cream, for topping!
1. Preheat oven to 375.  If fruit is frozen, thaw but do not drain.  Place fruit in a 2-quart square baking dish ( I used a round one that was rather deep.  If you do this, make sure to distribute topping halfway through the berries as well to ensure that all of them get a taste of the buttery goodness on top).  Stir in granulated sugar and 3 Tbsp flour.  Set aside.
2.  For topping, in a medium bowl stir together oats, brown sugar, flour, and your spice.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in the nuts.  Sprinkle topping over blueberry mixture.
3.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (40 for just-thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.  Cool slightly.  Spoon into bowls and smother with ice cream, BlueBell if you can get it! 
Mine came out with a little bit of extra liquid at the bottom of the pan.  I poured that over the ice cream cuz I'm awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment