Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

August 10, 2012

Curried Chicken Salad

So yesterday was my last day of summer semester finals, and I am now sitting here with a cold!  Bah.  I figured I'd make the best of my day in the house by posting a blog for my neglected followers...

This is a recipe that I had found online randomly and Jhet and I made it and re-made it until we loved it.  Now he eats it straight out of the bowl and I have to fight him for at least two servings!  Curried chicken salad has become a lunchtime (and dinnertime on occasion) favorite in this house, so I thought I would share our awesome recipe with you.

One of my favorite things about this recipe is that Jhet loves to make it with me.  He is our official taste-tester, always adding more curry when necessary.  It does take a little bit of labor (shredding apples, dicing grapes, etc.), so we have split the work in two.  No worries if you are flyin' solo on this recipe though!  It's really not that difficult.  I'm just kind of lazy.

Curried Chicken Salad






Makes: 4 servings
Takes: 20 minutes
You Need:
  • 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and cooled or 1/2 of a whole cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
  • 1-2 stalks finely chopped celery (about 1/4 cup)
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
  • 2 Tbsp quartered seedless red grapes
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, shredded (I use a cheese grater)
  • 5-7 Tbsp real mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp curry powder (I use more, but this is a good place to start)
  • salt and pepper
**All of the ingredients above are to taste.  I highly suggest trying it first, then adding more of whatever you like.  This is the bare minimum in my book of what you can put in to start with.**

1.  In a bowl, combine the chicken, celery, green onion, walnuts, grapes, and apple.  Toss to blend.

2.  Add mayonnaise, curry powder, and salt and pepper.  Add more mayo and other ingredients as see fit.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Serve in bread as a sandwich or atop some greens!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! I wanna try this!! Excellent photos and writing!!

    ReplyDelete