Follow me as I dive into the world that is cooking! There will be mishaps, burns and feasts as you watch my progression from college-student fare (pizza rolls and ramen noodles) to (hopefully) goddess of the hearth! I am always open to new recipes and ideas, so feel free to contact me.

August 16, 2011

Salmon Burgers with Lime Mayonnaise




This may seem a little creepy and ironic to mention in this post, but I got a new betta fish!  My husband and I have four fish tanks combined.  I lost my last fish, Darth Betta, about a month ago and just got Dracula last week.  He's awesome.  Here's his photo.
These salmon burgers are a zesty, unique dish with Asian-inspired flavors like ginger and panko crumbs.  Panko are a type of breadcrumb used in Japanese dishes and don't contain nearly as many funky preservatives and additives as "American" processed breadcrumbs.  They are light, slightly crunchy and add good texture to the burgers.
The awesome thing about this meal is that you can make these burgers ahead of time and let them marinate in the fridge for up to eight hours.  Sweet!  Don't forget that you'll need 30 minutes of marinating time minimum in order to "set" the burgers properly.
If you're going to make this, I highly suggest using a food processor to grind the salmon.  I haven't tried using a blender but if you do, I would add the salmon in small portions to ensure even grinding.

The lime-mayo sauce is a perfect compliment to the burgers and I feel is completely necessary to really bring out the flavors of the salmon.  I'm sure you could use light mayo or yogurt if you're watching calories.  I used olive-oil mayo to make it and it was great.  I don't even like mayonnaise OR red onion, but it just works so perfectly with the burgers that I piled it on!

One thing to be careful with is the fish.  Like I've said before, I'm learning my way around the kitchen.  I bought the salmon and skinned it successfully, but didn't check it for bones.  I know, I know, gross.  So make sure you thoroughly check your fillet! I just realized you can even see them in the photo!  Agh.  Two of the burgers were fine, and the other two, well, they weren't so great.  Watch for bones!

Salmon Burgers with Lime Mayonnaise
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, July 2010
Takes:  30 mins marinating, 10 mins cooktime
Makes:  4 servings

You Need:
  • 1 lb salmon fillet, skinned, rinsed and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 3/4 C Japanese panko crumbs
  • 2 green onions, sliced thin
  • 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, snipped
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp veggie oil
  • 4 hamburger buns or sandwich buns
  • green leaf lettuce (optional)

For the Lime Mayonnaise:
  • 1/4 C olive-oil mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
  • 3 tsp lime juice
1.  Pulse salmon in food processor (or in portions in a blender) seven or so times or until coarsely ground.  Don't over-process it or it won't taste good!  Set it aside.   In a medium bowl, combine panko crumbs, green onion, cilantro, ginger, garlic, eggs, soy sauce, and lemon juice.  Add salmon to mix and stir to combine.
2.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and plop 2/3 cup portions of salmon mixture onto sheet.  You should end up with four.  Shape them into 1-inch thick patties.  Cover them with plastic wrap and stick them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.  Make the lime mayonnaise while the fish is setting and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.  
3.  Heat veggie oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Once oil is hot, add salmon patties and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through (160 degrees F).  Toast buns; serve with lime mayonnaise and lettuce leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment