This will be something I will serve to my kids one day on a cold morning. It's warm, comforting and sweet with just the right hint of oats and nuts. Jhet also came in, tried it, and said it would make a great dessert if it was topped with ice cream! Great gravy! Either way, this stuff's good. Patting myself on the back.
Takes: 10 prep, 20 mins bake
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 3/4 C milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 C rolled oats
- 1/3 C raisins (golden are best)
- 4 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 C frozen sweet cherries
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Pinch of oat flour
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2. In the same saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar until combined. Add cherries and cook, stirring, for one minute to allow juices to melt and release. Add a bit of oat flour to thicken the mixture slightly and make sure it holds its consistency when baked. Cook about one minute more or until mixture is hot, then remove from heat.
3. Remove oatmeal mixture from oven after the 15 minutes is up. Slowly pour cherry mixture over the oats, then top with nuts and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Return to oven at 350 and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until nuts are toasted slightly and mixture is bubbly. Cool a bit then serve warm. You can serve this with more milk if desired, or spoon ice cream over it as a cobbler-like dessert*.
*Another option for dessert is baking the oatmeal, then spooning the ice cream on top of the oatmeal and adding the cherry topping and nuts on top of that! Woohoo!