I know I've been posting quite a few blueberry recipes lately, but 'tis the season and baby, am I in love with summer fruits! These muffins are subtly sweet, addicting, and easy to make. I like to bake them Sunday night, cool them and store them for the following week. They're a great source of vitamins and proteins and are perfect for grabbing on the way out the door.
Blueberry-Banana Breakfast Muffins
- 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 C dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 C rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 C milk (can use almond or soy)
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 C blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
2. Plop 1/4 cup (use a dry measuring cup) of batter in each muffin spot. Bake at 400 until a toothpick inserted in the middle (if you get a blueberry, try again) comes out clean, about 24 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm, or let cool on a rack until room temp and store for up to 3 days (no need to refrigerate!).
*If you bake these and eat them another day: cut them in half, lightly butter the middles and stick them in the toaster oven. Yum.